St Andrew’s War Memorial Hospital is committed to protecting the environment and using energy and resources wisely.
We recognise that reducing our carbon footprint and being more resource efficient – using less energy and water, producing less waste and emissions – are essential to promoting healthy and sustainable environments for our patients and communities.
As we are part of the UnitingCare family, our internal sustainability program is Greening UnitingCare, which captures the multitude of initiatives we are implementing to continuously improve our environmental performance. From green fleets to LED lighting retrofits, recycling to reducing single-use items and more – we are growing sustainability at UnitingCare.
In the past three years, St Andrew’s has:
- Upgraded 1,481 lightbulbs to energy-efficient LEDs, reducing our impact by 396,700 kWh and 317 tonnes of CO2e per year. This is equivalent to the annual electricity use of 88 households.
- Given bottles the boot, replacing single-use bottled water with a refillable jug service for our inpatients. This will avoid 180,000 plastic bottles a year.
- Continued to expand our recycling program by introducing specialised recycling initiatives, including PVC (IV bags, tubing and oxygen masks), metal, KIMGUARD (sterile wrap), copper (diathermy cables and surgical devices), X-rays and discs, large plastic bags and wrap, anaesthetic gas bottles, printer toners, e-waste, batteries and compression garments.
- Rehomed medical supplies and equipment to hospitals in Fiji, the Philippines and Papua New Guinea.
- Regularly donated medical supplies no longer fit for human use – and otherwise destined for landfill – to the RSPCA and local vets.
Collected thousands of plastic bottle tops (which aren’t easily recovered through normal mixed-recycling processes) for Lids4Kids, an innovative program that uses these plastic lids to 3D-print prosthetic limbs for children in developing countries.
For further information, please complete the form below and we will get back to you as soon as possible.