The Presbyterian and Uniting Churches established St Andrew's War Memorial Hospital in 1958 as a living memorial to those who gave so much, so unselfishly, in the two world wars of the twentieth century.

After nearly ten years of fundraising land acquisition, hard work and dedication, the hospital's foundation stone was laid on 14 May 1958.

On 2 June of the same year, the Chairman of the Hospital's Board of Governors, Dr Harold Crawford, performed the hospital's first operation.

In so doing, he began a proud tradition of clinical excellence that still serves to guide the hospital and its staff in their endeavour to provide the highest quality healthcare for patients.