St Andrew’s War Memorial Hospital celebrated its Foundation Day today with a blessing of the foundation stone laid back in 1949 and a morning tea honouring long-standing hospital volunteers and donors.
The Hospital began in May 1947 when the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church of Queensland approved the building as a living memorial to those who had served in the recent wars. After many years of fundraising, the hospital opened in 1958. Many volunteers gave a great deal of time to the fundraising efforts including a door to door collection and many pikelet sales to raise the necessary funds.
Today we unveiled a plaque honouring volunteers with more than twenty years of service. The “Spirit of St Andrew’s Club” lists forty names of people why have reached that milestone. We thank them for their commitment and contribution.
With a nod to our history, a bake sale (including pikelets!) raising money for Helena Goldie Hospital was also held today and has raised over $1000 thanks to the generosity of patients and staff.