Spring Hill is one of the oldest residential neighbourhoods in Brisbane, with many houses dating from the nineteenth century.
Spring Hill was so named in the nineteenth century because the hill on which the suburb was built was the source of the creek that was Brisbane's first fresh water supply.
Between 1903 and 1947 trams ran up Edward Street and along Leichhardt Street to Gregory Terrace. This tram line, operated by the Brisbane City Council, was the steepest in Australia, with a maximum gradient of 1 in 8.
The suburb was also served by trams along Boundary Street and St Paul's Terrace, with this service being replaced by buses in 1969.
St Andrew's War Memorial Hospital is one of Spring Hill's heritage listed buildings. In the late 1940’s the Presbyterian Church wanted to develop a hospital as a war memorial for soldiers who had fought and died in the two world wars. It became the Centenary project of the Church and was opened in 1958, with 84 beds.